Everything You Need to Know About Dental Veneers
Have you been looking for a dental solution that can transform your smile? Today is your lucky day. Our dental team at Mountain West Dental is thrilled to introduce you to one of our most acclaimed cosmetic procedures for transforming smiles. If you are unfamiliar with dental veneers, visit our dental offices to find out more about the treatments and how they can change your smile.
What Are Dental Veneers?
They are tooth-shaped and tooth-colored shell-like appliances that help restore smiles. Dental veneers in Gillette commonly feature porcelain, a sturdy material that closely mimics natural teeth. A dentist curves out a shape to match your natural teeth, suited for repairing the front surfaces of teeth.
How Do Veneers Work On Teeth?
Dental veneers near you may be similar to dental crowns, but they are not the same. While a dental crown encapsulates a whole tooth. Dental veneers only cover the front surfaces of teeth. Therefore, they are primarily cosmetic solutions to improve a smile more than they are fit for restoring teeth’ function.
An Overview of the Process of Getting Dental Veneers
The dental veneer treatment entails several steps:
- Numbing – your dentist in Gillette, WY, will numb your mouth with local anesthesia so you can enjoy a pain-free treatment.
- Enamel preparation – the dentist must prepare your tooth by trimming the enamel before getting a dental veneer. The dentist will focus on shaving the front side of your tooth, removing as much tooth enamel as necessary to create space for a dental veneer.
- Impressions – the dentist must take impressions of your prepared teeth to use them for customizing a perfectly-fitting dental veneer.
- Temporary crowning – your dentist will place a temporary tooth crown over your tooth to protect it during the period your dental veneer is created. The creation process happens in a dental laboratory, taking about two weeks.
- Installation of the veneer – a cosmetic dentist installs a porcelain veneer by bonding it to the natural tooth structure with dental cement. (S)he employs lasers to cure the cement and strengthen the bond.
When Do You Need Dental Veneers?
Cosmetic dentistry is available for all patients that need to up their aesthetics by overcoming underlying dental imperfections. Some of the ways dental veneers can transform your smile are:
- Teeth whitening – dental veneers offer patients a chance to improve their teeth’ color by masking discoloration and stubborn stains. It is an ideal solution if enamel bleaching has not worked effectively for you or if you prefer a longer-lasting teeth whitening solution.
- Teeth contouring – dentists can change your teeth’ shape and sizes using dental veneers. Patients with unusually short, pointed, rounded, smaller-than-average, or worn-down teeth can benefit from teeth contouring with dental veneers.
- Teeth alignment – although dental veneers are nothing like metal braces, they can improve teeth’ alignment. They work by closing small spaces between teeth and correcting the crookedness of teeth.
- Structural repair – if you have cracked, chipped or broken teeth, you are also a suitable candidate for dental veneers.
Will Dental Veneers Be Worth It?
Having that there are many oral appliances to choose from, it can be overwhelming to pick the most ideal for your treatment. Such decisions are best made with the guidance of a dental expert. However, also consider the following benefits of dental veneers:
- Versatility – they can correct many different oral problems without requiring alternative treatments.
- Less invasive procedure – compared to dental crowns.
- Durability – porcelain veneers can last between 10 and 20 years with proper care.
- Natural-looking results – porcelain veneers closely match natural teeth. After your treatment, it may be hard to tell apart your natural teeth from the veneered ones.
- Low maintenance – you will not need many adjustments in caring for your veneered teeth. The same way you care for your natural teeth will suffice for your dental veneers.
- Confidence boost – dental veneers can give you a completely new look for your front teeth that automatically elevate your self-confidence.
- Strengthening teeth – dental veneers can strengthen teeth by layering them to optimize their functionality. You will appreciate it more if you have worn down, weak, or fractured teeth.